Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Nemo`s visit to Tamadai Meguro (My Homestay Koki`s high School)

On Thursday and Saturday, I experienced what it was like to sit inside a japanese school for 2 full days. It was very difficult as all the classes i attended were all in japanese apart from English. English was very funny as the English teacher Mr Phill was an amusing teacher from England who often made funny jokes in the class that made everyone laugh. On the first day i went, i had to walk around the school with two teachers and introduce myself to many different classes around the school and introduce myself to each class in japanese and english. It was very fun as the students made me feel welcomed by smiling, waving and clapping every time i walked into a different class. Then i had to answer questions that certain classes asked me, gladly in english. As i walked around the school at lunch times, many people introduced themselves to me and said hello. Some classes, i went with some teachers out of school and visited things like the museum and buddah temples. During school, i also met all the teachers and i had to introduce myself to the whole staff in both english and japanese. The teachers were very welcoming as they each took turns to look after me during the classes i didnt attend. When I left the school on the first day, i met alot of new people and made friends with them. I played soccer at lunch with koki and all his many friends who made me feel welcomed. It was amazing to see many people with anime styled hair.
On the second day of school i studied in Japanese, maths and geography. In Japanese i recieved a present from the teacher which was a famous japanese book translated into english. In geography, i had to get up in front of the class and talk about New Zealand. Then I had to ask the class questions about Japan, then i had to answer questions they asked me about New Zealand. The questions they asked included "What is the population", and "What is the climate like"and one boy asked "Which girls do you like out of New Zealand and Japanese girls." The schools in Japan are really big, this school being 5 stories. I was interviewed by many teachers and talked to them about New Zealand, it was very interesting. The staff often took me to places out of school during subjects i didnt attend. I also went to the ramen shop with koki and his friends and had ramen for lunch. I have had a good experience in japanese school, and have liked the fact that everyone is kind and caring towards others. An example of kindness is when someone in the class presented me with a souvenior which was a picture that was drawn for me. Some of the people i have met have been with me to places after school, for example the festival i went to with some of kokis friends, and the arcade i went to with other of kokis friends. They took me around and told me taught me much about Japan.
(Cannot post any photos as it shows school uniform which is not allowed be shown online)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Nemo,

    I am glad that you enjoyed your experience in Japan and enjoyed reading about it from your view. The students really enjoyed meeting you as did I. Thank you too for giving me the calender and pen from New Zealand, I will use that next year!

    If ever you get the chance, please visit us again! You are very welcome.

    Best wishes,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philip. Apologies for intruding here. My name is Adam Burden, group leader of the trip and also Nemo's teacher. I am interested in possibly discussing some avenues to develop more interaction between students at our schools. Could you email me at aburden@lynfield.school.nz to discuss more if interested and I can give you more details.

      Regards,
      Adam Burden

      Delete
    2. Wow! Hey Phil! It's been so long! I'm so sorry I literally only saw your reply to my post just now, as this is the first time I have revisited this blog since I posted above. Thank you so so much Phil!! You made my experience incredible! Your kindness and welcoming character made me feel so welcome in a society I was very new to. Thank you for introducing me to a lot people, and accompanying me during the days I was at Tamadai Meguro :) It was a great experience and I was truly blessed to have met someone like you who was very kind and welcoming, and funny. Next time I go to japan I would love to visit again! Thanks again!

      Best wishes
      Nemo Faamamafa

      Delete